Ovulation Induction and Timed Intercourse
Ovulation induction means helping you produce an egg. Eggs grow within fluid-filled sacs called follicles which can be seen in the ovaries on the scan. Eggs are microscopic and cannot be seen. Therefore when we refer to follicles we mean the eggs.
This treatment is suggested for women who have polycystic ovaries and irregular periods – where they are unable to produce an egg on their own. This is the most basic fertility treatment. To undergo this treatment all other parameters must be normal. This means that the semen analysis should be satisfactory and your tubes must also be normal.
How is OI done?
- You will need to visit Jananam on day 2 of your period.
- You will have a vaginal (internal) scan to ensure that you have no cysts in your ovaries and that the inner lining of your uterus (Endometrium) is thin.
- We will then advise tablets (ovulation-inducing drugs). The commonly used medication is clomiphene citrate.
- This will be prescribed for 5 days following which you will be advised to come for a repeat scan.
- We will check if any follicles are growing and their sizes will be measured. We will also look at the Endometrium to ensure that it is thickening.
- You may be advised additional injections of gonadotropins at this stage in a small dosage. The requirement will be based on the response of your ovaries to stimulation.
- Once the follicle(s) have reached the desired size you will be advised a trigger injection (HCG).
- The trigger is given for the egg within the follicle to undergo maturation and also for the mature egg to be released by follicular rupture.
Point to remember – Following the trigger injection, the follicle is likely to rupture after approximately 36 hours. Therefore it is important to plan intercourse around that time.
We advise a pregnancy test 20 days later if you have not had a period. If you do have a period, please see us on the 2nd day of your period. Please make sure that you already taking folic acid (folsafe L) and that you have had a recent thyroid function test and are taking thyroid medication if advised.